Pages 51–53

June 2014

Bren and I found ourselves at UCC House, a purpose-built cancer clinic, sitting adjacent to The Princeton Hospital in Sydney on Friday the 13th of June. In hindsight, that was not a date for the superstitions. Fortunately, we weren’t superstitious.

The clinic wasn’t hospital-y, and that made it a bit easier to be there. We were worried as we walked through the large sliding glass doors at the front of the building and made our way to level two — for Brens’ first clinic consult. With 30 minutes to spare, after a smooth four-hour drive, we had grabbed a coffee from the ground floor cafe on our way past.

We knew the pain in his right leg was a mass inside the bone and were scared and anxious about what the mass might be. Among strangers in unfamiliar surroundings, we hadn’t had reason to spend a lot of time in the city in recent years. North had always been our favourite direction. Feeling a little rudderless so far from home, our kids and family, we sat to wait for our call — quietly apprehensive. 

“Brendan Maloney?” said an unfamiliar female voice.


She waved us to her and stood waiting to introduce herself. Her manner was friendly but a matter of fact. There was a sense of urgency in her voice and an air of friendly professionalism. She had a job to do, and it was pretty important. 

“I’m Sandra, Dr Brachs’ CNC,” she said,  (I would google what that meant later) “I will liaise with you on all matters regarding your appointments. If you have any questions at all, you can reach me by email or at this number.” Sandra handed Bren her card as we walked toward treatment room 4.

Dr Brach was sitting at a small desk in front of a computer and stood to shake Brens’ hand as we entered the room.


“Hello Brendan, I’m Dr Brach; you can call me Thomas,” he said.

“Nice to meet you,” Bren said, “this is Callie, my wife.”

Dr Brach reached across and shook my hand with a smile. He was far more relaxed than Sandra. A tall, solid and imposing man — he was slightly rounded around the edges. This, with his grey hair and spectacles, gave him a grandfatherly air that made him easy to warm to.

Niceties over, the conversation soon changed to why we were there. There was a room the size of a small auditorium on the other side of the corridor, full of patients waiting to be seen.  And they all looked as worried as us. Our consult slot was information-rich and time-poor. And it wasn’t hard to understand why efficiency was needed. Even so, we didn’t feel rushed.

 “Brendan, even if this is as nasty as it looks, there is reason to hope for a good recovery. The spectrum of possibilities for what I think this might be — starts at highly treatable,” Dr Brach said, wrapping things up.

“Ok then,” Bren said, nodding.

The mass was confirmed, the type of cancer was still to be determined. A biopsy would be organised and the results would tell us if it was benign or malignant, and that would determine what the treatment plan would be.

As we got up to leave, Dr Brach shook Bren by the hand, laying a comforting hand on his shoulder as he did. “We’ll know more after the results of the biopsy Brendan,” he said. 

He then looked at me and smiled, “medicine has come a long way, and people are living with cancer now just like they do with heart disease.” 

He handed me a tissue when tears started to roll down my cheeks. He smiled at Bren and nodded in my direction.

 “It’s at this point they cry — every time,” he said, looking at me kindly. “Let’s see what the biopsy tells us, and we’ll go from there. Sandra will keep you informed about when that will be.”


We were in the car and heading home by 2pm. I could smell diner wafting through the front door, beaten to the car only by two excited 10-year-olds as we pulled into our driveway. I quietly thanked the Lord for Margarets’ cooking, and I’m not religious. It had been a long day.

“I got an award today for spelling,” Tyz said proudly swinging my arm back and forwards by the hand as we walked in the front door. Bades was helping his dad carry all the pamphlets and paperwork they had sent home with us from the clinic.

Margaret was busy dishing up dinner as we bustled into the living area. Bren walked over and put his arm around her shoulders and pinched a baked potato off a plate, kissing her cheek as he did.

“I’ve saved the shank for you,” she said, smiling.

“Don’t tell the kids,” he said laughing, they’ll crash tackle me for it.

“What is it,” they said almost at the same time.

“Mind your beeswax,” he laughed, “Nan was talking to me.”

I smiled at Margaret thankfully as I set the table. It was good to be home.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s